Advancements in contact lens technology offer the potential of successful contact lens wear to most of our patients. A contact lens is a medical device in contact with the tissues of your eye; therefore, it must fit appropriately to maintain the health of your eyes. A contact lens prescription can only be determined by the careful observation of the lens on the eye and the eye’s response to the lens on follow-up visits. Since follow-up care is essential, it is your responsibility to keep all appointments and follow all lens care instructions.
THE COMPREHENSIVE EYE EXAM
Before a patient can be fit with contact lenses, a complete medical and refractive eye examination is necessary. This exam is critical to assure the good health of your eyes and to rule out the possibility of any unsuspected, underlying condition that may prevent contact lens use.
CONTACT LENS FITTING
The goal of contact lens fitting is to find the most appropriate contact lens for each patient’s optimal vision and comfort. An enormous variety of types, materials, sizes and colors are offered. We are committed to taking the time and effort to fit your contact lenses properly. Although many patients will need only one fitting session, sometimes this process requires several appointments. All patients being fit into contacts for the first time must go through the fitting process. We will not finalize the contact lens prescription until both the patient and the doctor are satisfied with the fit and visual acuity of the contact lens. We will provide the trial lenses necessary to find a lens that fits properly. Any patients who wishes to be written and/or dispensed a contact lens prescription must have a contact lens fitting. A contact lens fitting does not have to be performed on the day of the comprehensive eye exam and can be performed in an additional appointment slot. However, the fit is far more successful when done in close proximity to the comprehensive exam.
CONTACT LENS TRAINING SESSION
If the patient is a first time contact lens wearer, he/she will be provided with personalized instruction concerning the safe care and usage of contact lenses. If additional time is needed, it may be necessary to schedule a second training session at a different time. Upon completion of successful insertion and removal, the patient may begin wearing the contact lenses and we will schedule the first follow-up appointment within two weeks.
There is no charge for follow-up visits during the first 90 days following the initial exam date. After this time period, we reserve the right to charge a secondary contact lens fitting fee of $50.
Follow-up appointments are necessary to confirm several things:
- The contact lenses are fitting and moving well
- The prescription is providing the best possible vision
- The eyes are remaining healthy
- There are no problems with insertion or removal
- The patient understands and complies with the recommended wearing schedule
- Prescriptions will NOT be written for patients who do not keep follow up appointments.
ANNUAL CONTACT LENS EXAM
By law, a contact lens prescription is valid for only one year. All patients are required to come in for an annual contact lens exam. This is necessary to assure that the patient’s eyes are healthy and the contact lenses are still fitting well. Contact lens prescriptions cannot be renewed without an annual exam. If we are seeing you for the first time, and you have had a contact lens prescription from another office, it is helpful for us to have a copy of that prescription or for you to bring your lens packaging with you. Additionally, contact lens exams have a separate charge (fitting fee) that is NOT included in your medical eye exam or standard vision exam.
*If a patient should desire a secondary contact lens fit for a different lens for occasional wear (i.e. colored lenses, daily disposables for sports, part time multifocal, etc.), this can be done within 90 days of the initial fitting for a $50 charge and will include two follow ups within one month of the secondary fit. This charge is also non-refundable. Between 91 and 270 days, the secondary contact lens fit can be done for the full fee, and will include two follow ups within one month of this secondary fit. In all cases, the prescription will be written only for the amount of lenses to cover the rest of the year from the most recent comprehensive examination, and given an expiration date of 1 year from the most recent comprehensive eye examination and refraction. *Exceptions can be made for switching back to a previously prescribed material which the doctor had fit or had assessed the fit and vision. However, the accuracy of the new prescription will not be guaranteed and boxes purchased from a change like this will be nonrefundable.*
CONTACT LENS FEE POLICY
It is the law and our policy that all contact wearers are seen every year for a contact lens examination. If you are a new patient to our office it is helpful if you can provide the prescription for the lenses that you are currently wearing. There is a fee associated with contact lens fitting. This charge is in addition to the cost of the comprehensive exam. The fitting fee, which includes follow-up care within the first 60 days, is determined by the type of lenses prescribed, the difficulty of the fit, and whether or not the patient is a first time contact lens wearer. THIS FEE IS NON REFUNDABLE AND DUE AT THE TIME OF SERVICE. We can discuss lens options and prices in more detail once the initial examination is completed.
The fitting fee includes:
- The contact lens fitting, including the necessary trials to successfully complete the fit.
- Follow-up visits up to 90 days
- Lens changes if necessary, though the patient is responsible cost difference of the contact lenses.
- One 30 minute training session
The fitting fee does NOT include:
- Contact lenses (Costs will vary depending on type of lens prescribed)
- The comprehensive eye exam
- Medical visits not directly related to contact lens wear
- Contact lens checks after 90 days.
- Additional trials throughout the year.
*Contact Lens Trial Policy
Contact lens trials are supplied to our office from our suppliers for the purpose of fitting. Thus:
- They are not available for purchase.
- They will only be supplied to a patient during the 90 day trial period.
- If the prescription is about to expire/the patient is due for a contact lens fit, we can dispense the one time trial at the old prescription, take payment for one box per eye of the new prescription, and schedule the upcoming examination during the wear-cycle of the dispensed trial. New lenses will not be ordered until the examination is completed, and the fee for the contact lens boxes is non-refundable.
Fees for the comprehensive exam, contact lens fitting, or annual contact lens checks are due at the time of service. Fees for contact lens materials are due at the time of order. As always, the patient is responsible for any services not covered by his or her insurance plan. We accept cash, checks, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. After the initial fit, we will gladly order contact lenses over the phone with a credit card as long as the prescription is valid.
- There will be NO refund of the comprehensive eye exam or contact lens fitting (any level).
- There will be no refund on custom lenses, opened boxes of any type of lenses, or colored contact lenses because of dissatisfaction with the color.